Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Evolutions of Design: HCH Part 2 (The Logo)

So fledgling Roller Derby team Hells Canyon Honeys needed a logo. We had tossed around several ideas and some of the girls on the team had submitted several ideas for possible designs. There was a lot of division as to what they wanted to see-a skater girl, a queen bee, something with a honey jar, etc, etc...

Then team member kara Simpson brought for a design:


This design had potential, and my wife (and team creator) really liked it, but I knew it needed a number of modifications. The lettering was on of the biggest problems, splitting up the Hells Canyon Honeys, the breaking up of the "Hells" over the curve above looked jarring, and Roller Derby was larger and more prominent than the team's name. Also, I didn't like how the honey sticks came outside the lining six-sided shape but the bottom of the skull did not. Also, the star by itself below was distracting to me.

So I began to work on modifying the design...

This was my first modified prototype. While I think it was an improvement, there were still things that bugged me, and my wife, about the design. The fonts for both the wording seemed wrong, especially the team name-it seemed just to cute. Also, the bottom of the piece seemed far too spacious, and while I liked the design of the face, it seemed too simplistic, it needed some more shading.

This is what i came up with...


 I switched the logo font to something tougher, inspired by seventies punk. I switched out the Roller Derby to a stronger font. I extended the length of the honey sticks into the wording run, giving added depth, and assed a great deal of shading , hoping to give more depth to the design.

The girls liked it, and now we have this...


Yeah, that is me wearing my t-shirt from the hells Canyon Honeys first run of team shirts. Lovely pic, i know, what a photogenic guy I am. Hahaha.

And we have this...



That would be the first team tattoo with the logo on it. I have to say, it is very cool to have t-shirts with something  you helped design on them, and even cooler to know people are permanently placing it onto their flesh.

You can find out more information about the LCV Hell's Canyon Honeys Women's Roller Derby Team at
www.facebook.com/HellsCanyonHoneys

And you can also buy team merchandise (many featuring my designs, I shameless plug) at
Hells Canyon Honeys & Roller Derby Merchandise
Please Note: 100% of all profits from the HCH Merchandise goes back into funding the team!

No comments:

Post a Comment